GENERAL BELAY INFORMATION
- For those that wish to belay (hold the ropes) and don’t already know how to do so, we offer a 1-hour belay class on certain days and times. The class costs $29 for non-member (free for members) and includes both your admission to the facility and gear for the day. For complete information about and schedule of classes, click here.
- AZR staff does not belay (hold the ropes). Nobody under the age of 15 is allowed to belay.
- For those that do not wish to learn how to belay, there are 8-10 autobelays available, as well as bouldering (climbing without ropes on the shorter walls), the treadwall, yoga and the Ninja Warrior training course. There is still plenty of climbing and other fun things to do!
- We do not recommend planning on less than 2 hours for your first visit. It may take 20-30 minutes to get through the orientation process and you want to have plenty of time to climb.
- For those that already have a good base knowledge of climbing and know how to properly belay, there is an option to test out of the top-rope and/or lead belay class.
- Top-rope tests are not scheduled; they are run based on availability of staff and traffic in the facility.
- Lead tests must be scheduled in advance at email@example.com or by using the request form below. We unfortunately cannot accommodate walk-ins at this time.
- There are set criteria that must be demonstrated to pass the test. If you do any of the things on the IMPROPER LIST, you will automatically fail the test regardless of your abilities to perform the other actions. In the event of a failed test, you are welcome to attempt a re-take 24hrs after your original test.
- If you are interested in testing out, click here for the document explaining what you need to know/skills you will need to demonstrate.
- 1-hour belay classes need to be scheduled in advance. This can be done via our calendar below, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Anyone that has not belayed at AZR before or within the last 6 months, is required to take the belay class, or can opt to test out (see info below). Please remember, nobody under the age of 15 is allowed to belay.
- The belay class costs $29 for non-members (free for members) and includes your day pass, gear, and unlimited climbing, access to yoga classes and fitness equipment.
- All participants of the belay class must complete a digital waiver prior to arrival for class. For those under the age of 18, their own parent must complete this.
- Must display an understanding of and retain information taught during class, as well as be able to demonstrate all required aptitudes covered in the class to get belay certified at the end of class.
- Those taking the class may be required to climb for other students. We may also ask for non-belaying parties to climb for those in the belay class.
- Belay classes can be scheduled online (see below) or at the facility. Payment is required at time of registration.
- Belay classes cancelled less than 24 hours in advance will not receive a refund.
- Anyone that does not pass the belay class will have the opportunity to take 1 more class at no additional charge.
LEARN TO LEAD
- Clipping & Belaying (2hrs): This first class will teach the essentials of basic lead belay and lead climbing while on top rope. You must be able to top rope 5.9, own your own harness and ATC belay device to attend this class.
- Falling & Catching (2hrs): This second class applies the concepts learned in Class 1 to arresting falling climbers and taking lead falls. You must take Class 1 or test out of Class 1 in order to take this class.
- Price: Classes are $180 for Members, $240 for Non-Members (includes both sessions).
- All lead classes are scheduled on a case-by-case basis. Please email email@example.com to schedule a session, or fill out our interest form below.
You can search for specific dates in the calendar below. We offer general belay classes and lead climbing classes. These classes typically take place on Monday or Wednesday nights. If none of the dates in the calendar work please complete the Belay and Lead Climbing form below.
Complete Our Lead and Belay Test Information Form
If you need additional information or cannot find a class to suite your needs in the list above please complete the form below.